Running Web server on ATT BroadBand

On Sat, 1 Dec 2001, Anthony J. Gabrielson wrote:
> I always get a kick out of it when people complain about it.  I think they
> do a good job for what they have.  Dollars and sense, I probably cost them
> more money than what I am worth.
>
> Thats just my .02 cents.  I seem to be fairly opinionated lately.
>
> Do you agree or disagree - and why?

Personally, my issue is not that "they're not allowing servers".  My issue
is that I signed up for the service with a particular TOS that stated they
allow it, but don't support it, and they have changed that TOS, while
raising my rates, without any recourse for me other than dropping the
service.  I recognize the fact that they have the right to, but that
doesn't mean I think it was a fair business thing to change it in that
way.

The fact that I am running servers does not mean that I use more bandwidth
that an adolescent boy who spends his weekends downloading MP3's and
JPG's.  If I were, then they should terminate.  Maybe other people with
servers use more bandwidth than I do.  The newbies running Windows with no
firewall probably use more bandwidth when they send out hundreds of email
messages every time a new virus comes out.

The fact that they are simultaneously removing functionality,
increasing my downtime tremendously, and raising my rates, is what has
driven me to go through the very frustrating experience of getting DSL.
Yes, I am *BEGGING* three companies to cooperate long enough to give me
half the bandwidth for $10/mo more, in the name of static IPs, qualified
support staff, and not being shut down for a week and a half.

DDDD   David Kramer         david at thekramers.net       http://thekramers.net
DK KD
DKK D  "Questions are a burden to others,
DK KD  Answers a prison for oneself."
DDDD                                                           -The Prisoner