need resources on Java/network/DB programming for non-dummies

I just subscribed to this list, so I missed the original post (hi,
everybody!) -

Just about every Java programmer that I know, myself included, swears by
the pair of O'Reilly books, "Java in a Nutshell" and "Java by Example",
for learning the language, and for having a decent reference after they've
learned it.

>From the applet experience that I've had, cross-browser compatibility
should be straightforward, provided you stick with the standard Java
classes.  You'll have to decide whether to stick with Java 1.0, or to use
the Java 1.2 classes, which gives you much better display capabilities,
but requires that your users install a plug-in.

Speaking of computer-run board games systems, you may want to check out
the "Q Universal Board Game", at qub.sourceforge.net.  They're working on
a universal client for on-line board games.  Well, universal in the sense
that you should be able to play any board game you want on it, once it's
finished.  It's designed using QT, and is probably pretty Unix-specific.
But their architecture and design may be worth looking at.

David B.