need resources on Java/network/DB programming for non-dummies

I just finished a course in Java at U Mass Lowell, and we used 'Core Java
Volume I Fundamentals' by Horstman and Cornell.  The book was $32.24 at
CompUSA.  The book is thorough and the code comes on a CD.  The CD also
has JDK1.2 and some tools.  I think you can learn from this book,
although I found that the lecture notes were also needed.  The notes and
tutorials and references at the Sun site are extensive and daunting.  As
you might expect, there is NOTHING you can't find there.  I also find
O'Reilly's 'Java in a Nutshell' invaluable as a reference, particularly
in finding my way through the package libraries.

I hope this helps.

Karl

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000 19:24:55 -0500 Timothy W Haven <thaven at world.std.com>
writes:
> Hi,
>
> Well, nobody else answered yet, so you get my second-hand info.
> I don't know the language, but this info looks good:

http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/onlineTraining/new2java/programmi
ng/learn/bookreview.html