questions about distributions

howdy folks,

I'm assembling a document on various distributions of linux and need some of
your help.  Any and all comments are welcome...  My focus is to outline
which distributions I want to compare in depth at in the next phase of my
research.  My current scope has been reduced to the following.

Debian / SuSE / Caldera / Corel / RedHat

Questions:

Have SMP enabled kernels?  Or will I be required to do a kernel build?
If you had to describe each distribution in 20 words what would you say?
What is the focus, how does it differ from others?
If you had to choose just one as a server platform on i86 architecture, what
would you pick?

I know many of the answers, but I'm soliciting for public opinion.
Thanks...

- Christoph

-