[Discuss] fetchmail problem

Dale R. Worley worley at alum.mit.edu
Fri Jun 9 22:00:32 EDT 2023

discuss-request at driftwood.blu.org writes:
> From: dan moylan <jdm at moylan.us>

> # .fetchmailrc
>
>   set logfile fetchmail.log
>   poll moylan.us protocol POP3
>         user "moylanus" pass "xxxxxxx" is moylan preconnect "date >> fetchmail.log"
>         user "jdm+moylan.us" pass "xxxxxxx" is moylan preconnect "date >> fetchmail.log"
>   smtp localhost
>
> # fetchmail.log
> Thu Jun  8 11:09:30 AM EDT 2023
> fetchmail: 1 message for moylanus at moylan.us (1353 octets).
> fetchmail: reading message moylanus at moylan.us:1 of 1 (1353 octets) flushed
> Thu Jun  8 11:09:37 AM EDT 2023
> fetchmail: Authorization failure on jdm+moylan.us at moylan.us
> fetchmail: For help, see http://www.fetchmail.info/fetchmail-FAQ.html#R15
> fetchmail: Query status=3 (AUTHFAIL)
> Thu Jun  8 11:09:40 AM EDT 2023
> fetchmail: Authorization failure on jdm at moylan.us
> fetchmail: For help, see http://www.fetchmail.info/fetchmail-FAQ.html#R15
> fetchmail: Query status=3 (AUTHFAIL)
>
> it reads successfully from /home3/moylanus/mail/new, but not
> from /home3/moylanus/mail/moylan.us/jdm/new.  what am i
> missing?

Number one is that the log you present doesn't match the fetchmailrc you
present, as the log shows 3 logins and the fetchmailrc shows 2.  So the
reader has to be suspicious of everything presented here.

Number two is that your "preconnect" strings all look the same, so you
don't have external verification which log lines correspond to which
fetchmailrc clauses.  Fortunately, fetchmail does log which username is
failing, so that isn't necessary.

The first thing I would check is that the passwords given in fetchmailrc
actually work, that is, you can telnet to the POP3 port, enter the given
usernames and passwords and have the server say OK.

Dale