[Discuss] fetchmail

dan moylan jdm at moylan.us
Fri Jun 9 10:15:41 EDT 2023

rich pieri writes:
> On Thu, 8 Jun 2023 11:17:49 -0400
> dan moylan <jdm at moylan.us> wrote:

> > trying fetchmail again after some years, but getting authentication
> > failure.

> Possibly not helpful here but I switched from fetchmail to getmail
> around 5 years ago. Easier setup than fetchmail, doesn't require a local
> MTA (but can do things like invoke procmail directly), just generally
> better for my needs.

> That said, check your server authentication logs if you can for the
> specific failure cause. The + addressing may be the problem but it's
> impossible to be sure without knowing what exactly the server is barfing
> on.

just where are the authentication logs?  i tried journalctl and didn't see
anything appropriate.  looking at .fetchmailrc

01 # .fetchmailrc
02
03   set logfile fetchmail.log
04   poll moylan.us protocol POP3
05         user "moylanus"      pass "xxxxxx" is moylan preconnect "date >> fetchmail.log"
06         user "jdm+moylan.us" pass "xxxxxx" is moylan preconnect "date >> fetchmail.log"
07         user "jdm"           pass "xxxxxx" is moylan preconnect "date >> fetchmail.log"
08   smtp localhost

line 05 gets the mail from ~/mail/new with no problems, but
lines 06 and 07 looking for mail from

i must be doing something wrong there, but what?

tia,
olw dan

j. daniel moylan
84 harvard ave