[Discuss] ATA Access Errors For Spinning Disk

jbk jbk at kjkelra.com
Sun Dec 17 10:13:36 EST 2023

I periodically get access errors for a specific spinning
disk that I have done these things to diagnose:
Changed Sata Cable
Switched Sata bus on MB
Run E2fsck on the 3 formatted ext4 partitions w/ no errors found
Run smartctl -a: all results within norms
Run smartctl -t short: No errors found

Disk operation age is about 7.5 years with around a couple
hundred starts. It has been in continuous operation for over
8 years except during vacations. On occasion the disk
partitions will become unmounted and a mount -a will remount
the partitions as a different device from lets say sda to
sdd. I've not lost any data and I do regular backups to
another device that's rotated out of system.

I seem to have always had these errors present on this MB
that is maybe 4 or 5 years in operation. Any thoughts on the
cause of this issue? Do others see this behavior on occasion
on systems they manage?

On this same system my Rocky OS on an SSD is showing no
issues at all. Same operation age as the spinner.

--
Jim KR