[Discuss] Laptop as a remote access device?

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Fri Sep 30 17:37:03 EDT 2022

On Wed, Sep 14, 2022 at 10:46 PM Dale R. Worley <worley at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> I'm looking into buying a laptop that's solely a remote access device,
> that is, a portable way to use ssh/X windows server to connect to a
> workstation that's at home.  Does anyone have advice?  It seems to me
> the requirements are:

Sorry for the late response...

You might consider buying a Chromebook.   All recent chromebooks
support installing
a Linux environment which lets you run Linux programs including ssh.  They also
support X apps for local display and I'm pretty sure you can use X
forwarding via ssh to view X apps from
remote machines.   Software support 5? years from initial hardware
release, long battery life, inexpensive,
many are designed to stand up to the abuse of school children, etc.
Sounds like the perfect answer to your requirements
to me.

Bill Bogstad