[Discuss] ZFS for an Encrypted External Disk: My Experience and Notes

Rich Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 16:59:55 EDT 2022

On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 16:13:31 -0400
markw at mohawksoft.com wrote:

> A stripe over two mirrors is not as reliable as RAID6. If you have 4
> drives arranged in two mirrors, each mirror can only survive the loss
> of one drive. So, your system, if it loses 2 drives, has a 33.33%
> chance of losing half its data.

If I cared that much about fault tolerance then I'd be running one
4-way mirror instead of two 2-way mirrors. As is, if I lose two drives
out of the four before I can replace and resilver one, all I'm really
out is the most recent backups of my daily drivers and the time needed
to restore my backups which are kept on auxiliary storage.

--