[Discuss] Reducing wear on SSD drives - worth the effort and, if so, how?

Rich Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 12:20:02 EST 2022

On Thu, 1 Dec 2022 10:55:22 -0500
Daniel M Gessel <daniel at syntheticblue.com> wrote:

> Different definitions of "tradeoff" aside, I think I'm hearing you
> say that you'd rather budget for replacement than make risky changes
> to your systems for potentially little to no benefit. That's cool if
> that's your thing.

No, I don't "rather" budget for replacement. I *always* plan for
replacement. All storage, whether flash or rotating, will wear out and
fail and need to be replaced.

Once you start treating storage as consumable you stop worrying about
micro-managing wear and let the storage manage itself the way it was
designed.

--