How to use MRTG to monitor an application's bandwidth use?

Matt Shields mshields at namemedia.com
Tue Aug 29 14:43:18 EDT 2006

Ok, someone may need to correct me, but your Application and the Network
operate at different levels in the protocol stack.  So mrtg alone is
impossible.  When you poll your router it is only going to report what
data is passed alone its interfaces.  You could setup something like
NTOP to monitor your firewall for connections, then look at the
summarized traffic report and see what it says for the destination
everyone is connecting to.

Matthew Shields
Sr Systems Administrator
NameMedia, Inc.