router/printing problems

Tom Metro blu at vl.com
Mon Aug 21 11:28:20 EDT 2006

Bill Mills-Curran wrote:
> My 192.168.2.x network has a couple of windows boxes (some wireless)
> behind a linkSys router.  This network feeds to my 192.168.1.x network
> which connects to the internet through a second router.

So are you saying:

Internet -> FIOS router -> Linksys 192.168.2.x -> Linksys 192.168.1.x

(Where the -> side of each device is the WAN port.)

Your wording is a little vague, but the above would be the expected
arrangement if you wanted to keep the Linux boxes most protected.

> Problem.  Since moving, I can't print to the samba-served printer from
> the windows boxes.  I have modified samba to accept connections from
> the 192.168.2.x machines.

Have you also adjusted the firewall rules on the 192.168.1.x router to
permit inbound SMB traffic from the 192.168.2.x network?

> Here's the one for the client 192.168.1.153.log:
>
> [2006/08/20 22:27:25, 0] lib/util_sock.c:get_peer_addr(1150)
>   getpeername failed. Error was Transport endpoint is not connected
> [2006/08/20 22:27:25, 0] lib/access.c:check_access(328)
> [2006/08/20 22:27:25, 0] lib/util_sock.c:get_peer_addr(1150)
>   getpeername failed. Error was Transport endpoint is not connected
>   Denied connection from  (0.0.0.0)

I'm confused. The above suggests the client is in the 192.168.1.x
network, but you said you were trying to print from a Windows box which
you previously said were all in the 192.168.2.x network. Is
192.168.1.153 the address of the 192.168.1.x router?

In any case, one problem you might need to deal with is name resolution.
You mentioned previously that the Samba print server had a static IP
address, which may make this irrelevant, but normally Samba uses
Microsoft's NetBIOS protocol for name resolution which depends on
broadcast packets which won't normally traverse your routers. Accessing
the printer via IP or adding an entry to the HOSTS file on the Windows
box might be necessary.

Another option to consider is to proxy the printing through CUPS. I've
actually found it to be a useful tool in doing this kind of router-
traversing printing, as I think it offers better diagnostics than Samba.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA