mod_auth_pam

Stephen Adler adler at stephenadler.com
Fri Aug 18 13:01:33 EDT 2006

Success... sort of....

I finally got it to work. Actually it was all documented, (how to set it
up,) and it was just a question of RTFM'ing.

The mod_auth_pam pretty much worked right out of the box. (i.e. it was
never the problem
of my inability to authenticate.) The httpd configureation file (and
this is for redhat enterprise linux 4) looks like

[root at qmt0 init.d]# cat /etc/pam.d/httpd
#%PAM-1.0
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_unix.so
account    required     /lib/security/pam_unix.so

So, the two things I had to do was fix ypserv to allow shadow.name to be
access from a port greater than 1024 by modifying /etc/ypserf.conf, and
change the group on the /etc/shadow to apache and chmod it to 440.
(ouch...) I sort blew a hole in the security of my system... but at
least now I can authenticate. :)

Thanks to everyone for their help!

Cheers. Steve.