Fedora Core 5 freezes on Dell Dimension E510

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Tue Aug 15 10:05:51 EDT 2006

On Tuesday 15 August 2006 9:41 am, Matt Shields wrote:
> But, my question is what benefit is it buying a new Dual Core desktop if
> I can't run 64 bit OS, and I may not be able to use the smp kernel.  Did
> I just waste my money?
You should be able to use dual core.
The Intel chips have dual cores, EM64T, and hyperthreading. You should be
able to run X86_64 SMP. I don't know about Red Hat, but I run SuSE 10.1 on
my HP 64-bit laptop, but it is not dual core.

Also note that we run both SLES 9.0, RHEL 4.0, and Mandrivia on our 64-bit
servers in the lab, and some have dual core and 64-bits. You can take a
look at the ones we have publicly available. (http://www.testdrive.hp.com).

(And they don't explode).
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>