nfs: sharing directory without running DNS

John Abreau john.abreau at zuken.com
Mon Aug 14 14:50:25 EDT 2006

jbk wrote:
> dsr at tao.merseine.nu wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 13, 2006 at 07:06:53AM -0400, jbk wrote:
>>> As the subject line states, I am trying to share a directory on one
>>> computer in my local network with another without a local DNS server.
>>> Is this possible?
>>
>> Sure. You can specify NFS mounts by IP address, or you can put
>> names in /etc/hosts on all the machines in question.
>>
>> -dsr-
>>

> This I have done, but I still get 'error: no route to host'.
>
> /etc/exports contains:
> #
> /frodo/Fc5all 10.251.227.*(ro,no_root_squash,insecure)
> /data 10.251.227.3(rw)
>
> Checking nfs status:
> # /sbin/service nfs status
> rpc.mountd (pid 1757) is running...
> nfsd (pid 1754 1753 1752 1751 1748 1746 1745 1744) is running...
> rpc.rquotad (pid 1730) is running...
>
> The /etc/hosts file is populated with the ip's hostnames and aliasses,
> and /etc/resolve.conf points to my isp's server address.
>
> I am trying to share Fc5all to do a network install.

It sounds like iptables is blocking NFS. NFS is an RPC service, and gets
its port numbers assigned dynamically from portmap. To get it to work
with iptables, you need to reconfigure NFS to "pin" the various ports
it uses to something constant, and then open those ports in iptables.
There are some decent HOWTOs you can find via google; here's one I
just found:

     http://www.omg.unb.ca/~jonnyb/linux/FC4_install_and_tweaks.html

--
John Abreau