Fedora Core 5 freezes on Dell Dimension E510

Matt Shields mshields at namemedia.com
Mon Aug 14 09:37:15 EDT 2006

I have a Brand new Dell Dimension E510 with Pentium D 940 Dual Core
(3.2GHz, 800FSB), 1GB memory, 160SATA drive, CD/DVD reader.  I came with
Windows XP preinstalled and it ran perfect for a week, so I know it's
not a hardware problem (at least for XP).  I installed FC5 x86_64 (since
it's Dual Core) and it installs fine, but after logging in and working
for a couple minutes the whole system freezes.  You can't drop to shell,
you can't break out of X, nothing.

Any ideas?

Matthew Shields
Sr Systems Administrator