subversion

Robert La Ferla robertlaferla at comcast.net
Wed Aug 9 21:51:04 EDT 2006

On Aug 9, 2006, at 4:50 PM, Stephen Adler wrote:

> I'm in the midst of setting up a project and I'm thinking of
> migrating away from CVS and using subversion. Does anyone have any
> thoughts on this, or any comments? Anyone with experience using
> subversion, if you could comment, I certainly would like to read them.

Go for it.  I use Subversion too.  I have used cvs for years and will
never use cvs ever again.  svn is faster, has atomic commits,
versions deletes and renames, etc...  The commands are similar to
those of cvs so it's fairly easy to transition to.  Some things are
easier like updating a directory including subdirectories does not
require a "-d" option.  Overall it's very nice.  Alas, there are some
things that could be made easier like restoring a deleted file (you
have to manually look through the log for the last revision and then
use svn copy to copy the file from the repository to your working
directory.)

Note that there are now many new revision control systems like
Subversion.  e.g.  Mercurial (hg), GNU arch, etc...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_revision_control_software