Mozilla Mail and IMAP problem

Tom Metro blu at vl.com
Sat Aug 5 12:13:11 EDT 2006

Scott R Ehrlich wrote:
> "The current command did not succeed. The mail server responded: Message
> contains bare newlines."
>
> What are my options to try and migrate the problematic messages back to the
> server?

If there are only a few messages, you might try having the user forward
them to himself. A round trip through the MTA will probably clean that
up. If the side effects of forwarding (altered headers) are
unacceptable, you can try:

1. cleaning up the file in Mozilla's local storage. The messages are
stored in the common Berkeley mailbox format. Load the appropriate
mailbox into a good editor and seek out the newlines. Or process the
mailbox with a Perl regular expression, if you have Perl handy.

2. Have the user save the message to an individual file. Then pipe it
back into the mail system, similar to forwarding, but the user visible
headers will mostly remain untouched. You can accomplish re-injection
using a tool like 'postie' or 'blat' on Windows, or copy the file to a
handy Linux box and do "sendmail user < message".

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA