does NFS cache directories??

gbburkhardt at verizon.net gbburkhardt at verizon.net
Wed Sep 29 08:30:17 EDT 2004

I have Mandrake 9.1 system (kernel 2.4.21)accessing a Solaris 8 NFS volume.  Occasionally, there is a delay
between the time of creating a file on the Solaris disk, and its availability over NFS.  In my test, I created a file on the Solaris system with "touch junk", and then
tried "ls /home/remote-solaris/user/junk" on the Linux system.  There was a delay of over 10 seconds before the
Linux system would see the new file.  During that time,
'ls' would report no such file or directory.

This indicates to me that the Linux system is caching the directory entries.  Is there any way to turn this
off, and force the Linux system to access the NFS volume each time?

TIA....