Spammers Relaying Through Bounces

Matthew Valites mvalites at banta-im.com
Mon Sep 27 14:39:01 EDT 2004

Kent,

>I got a bounce from AOL including the URL
><http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/554rlybd.html>.
>
>It seems they consider me a relayer of spam, and I think I know why:
>spammers send e-mail from "Person X", to "Bogus Person Y" at my
>domain, "Bogus Person Y" doesn't exist, so qmail bounces the message
>back to "Person X".  They then do this for a lot of different persons
>as "Person X", and turn me into a spam house.

Who's your ISP?  Check the bounce message for what it says.  I'm
currently on comcast, and also saw this problem on rcn.  Since I had a
dynamic ip, they considered me to be a spammer.  Right now, I have a
router set up in exim4 for aol:

aol_sucks:
  driver = manualroute
  domains = ! +local_domains
  route_list = aol.com smtp.comcast.net byname
  transport = remote_smtp

I think "dig MX your.isp" should return mail servers that you can relay
through.  Of course, I'd telnet to them and try sending a message first
to make sure.  I know this doesn't get around you being listed as a
spammer, but it should work.

~Matt