back up

Bob George mailings02 at ttlexceeded.com
Mon Sep 27 09:09:02 EDT 2004

Eric wrote:

>  [...] Hey, I'm trying to think of the cheapest possible back up
>  method for about 20 gigs (and growing). How about a USB 2.0 Drive Kit
>  (around $50), take a crappy throw away computer which contains a
>  perfectly fine hard drive and use that. Once in a while turn it on,
>  backup and turn in off. Has anybody used these kits? Is there an
>  easier cheaper way?

You  didn't mention whether you need the solution to be portable, but
any throwaway machine with a 20G+ hard drive would probably make a
perfectly adequate server. The disk could be used for storage, the
machine as a firewall/router and any number of useful apps used for
streaming audio and the like. Or, simply shut it down when not backing up.

- Bob