Portscan yourself!

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Fri Sep 24 22:11:00 EDT 2004

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 11:20:55 -0400 (EDT)
David Kramer <david at thekramers.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, John Chambers wrote:
>
> > | If you only have one machine, this URL can be used to portscan
> > yoursef.|
> > | http://www.dslreports.com/scan
> >
> > Interesting. It gave my gateway box a clean bill of health. But I
> > may do  a  bit of checking to see if I can find more details of what
> > they actually do.
> >
> > One thing that did make me a bit nervous: They require that you
> > turn on  java to run their test.  There's no obvious reason that
> > they need to do this, as all the java seems to do is implement a
> > few  buttons.
>
> No, the Java applet gets the output from their server.  Remember that
> the port scan is actually running on THEIR server, not yours.  It
> might even be doing some variant of RPC to fire it off on the server
> and get the results back.
>
> If they implemented it as a regular browser window with a dynamic page
>
> sending you the output of the script, some users' browsers would
> likely time out.
The question is why does the first 4 characters on each line get
truncated on the display yet when I copy and paste they are there.
I get this on both the port scan as well as the bandwidth meter.
I don't know if it is something with the Java JDK I have installed or
something.  However, it is ok on my laptop.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group