SuSE 9.1 - No graphical login

Josh Pollak pardsbane at offthehill.org
Wed Sep 22 15:38:01 EDT 2004

On Sep 22, 2004, at 3:15 PM, David Backeberg wrote:

>> Specifically, it does not like the monitor, a TRL/RIC DH-1764.I
>> changed the resolution from the default to 1024x768 (this was after
>> installation and before first login), then when it switched to the X
>> Server to test the video:
>>
>> Open APM Failed (dev/apm_bios) No such device.  No devices detected.

I doubt this is the reason X isn't starting. This has more to do with
power management. When X starts, it outputs a log file (often
/var/log/X.log). Lines that begin with (EE) are errors that are
preventing X from starting.

>> Upon bootup and entering YaST after a text login, it displays a box
>> indicating:
>>
>> Monitor (0) with ID:  ___FFFF not found.  Please set up monitor
>> manually.

I have found that lately, you can get away with leaving modelines out
of monitor setup in XF86Config and X will figure it out for itself
pretty well.

Here is the relevant section of my XF86Config file, you could try
making yours look similar. Always keep backups though:

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Monitor0"
	VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
	ModelName    "Monitor Model"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Card0"
	Driver      "nvidia"
	VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
	BoardName   "Unknown Board"
	BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen0"
	Device     "Card0"
	Monitor    "Monitor0"
         DefaultDepth 24
	SubSection "Display"
                 Modes     "1600x1200"
		Depth     24
	EndSubSection
EndSection

I would suggest a DefaultDepth of 16 and a mode of "1024x768" to start
with, but you might be able to go higher. Of course, you will need to
use the correct driver for the s3, which I think is just:

Driver "s3"

But I'm not sure. And the BusID like would need to be commented out or
corrected.

-Josh