Basic bash help

trlists at clayst.com trlists at clayst.com
Tue Sep 21 09:47:01 EDT 2004

I could use a little help with bash.  I'm using it on a couple of
different machines -- one running Slackware, another RH.  All I'm
trying to do right now is set up a few simple aliases.  I'm familiar
with the command line and the concept of aliases, what I can't figure
out is where and how they get set.

For example on the RH system it appears that .bashrc in the user's home
directory runs /etc/bashrc which in turn runs *.sh from /etc/profile.d.
The scripts in profile.d set some global aliases:

     alias cp='cp -i'
     alias mv='mv -i'
     alias rm='rm -i'
     alias vi='vim'
     alias which='alias | /usr/bin/which --tty-only --read-alias --show-
dot --show-tilde'

The aliases for vi and which are findable in the files in profile.d,
however those for cp, mv, and rm are not there nor in ~/.bashrc, nor in
/etc/bashrc.  Where might they be?

Also, for my own aliases, where is the usual place to set them if I
want them global?  Specific to a particular user?  Do I create my own
script in profile.d for my own aliases, or modify an existing script?
For local ones do I use ~/.bashrc, or make it call a separate script?
I know all of these approaches will work, I'm wondering if there is a
common practice for defining aliases.

Thanks,

--
Tom