Officially changing my most-hated UNIX flavor.

David Kramer david at thekramers.net
Fri Sep 10 14:34:02 EDT 2004

Up until recently it was HP-UX, because I had some messy issues porting
an app from HP-UX 10 to a more modern version.  They changed every object
size under the sun in preparation for 64-bitness and a newer curses
standard and IPv6, even though that newer HP-UX didn't itself have the
64-bitness or IPv6.

As you know, I'm porting an application on AIX from the native xlC copiler
to gcc/binutils now.  After cleaning the blood off my monitor (it's right
near the wall I've been banging my head against), I saw a coworker sent me
these links:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&frame=right&th=ab1b3d331e2c8d7&seekm=3f28d542%240%244824%2480265adb%40spool.cs.wisc.edu#link1

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/eserver/articles/gnu.html

For added fun, nobody anywhere on the 'net has a precompiled version of
gcc later than 3.3.3 (and that's for AIX 5.1, not 5.2), and there are no
recent binutils to be found either (for 5.2).  I've found a few links to
later versions, but they have either been 404 or corupted archives.  IBM
offers gcc on their website, but its... wait for it... gcc 2.9.5 as the
most recent for AIX 5.2, and I have to install a bastardized version of
RPM to get that.  Rolling my own has been a challenge.

Maybe unemployment wasn't so bad...  I guess as long as I'm making more
money than the therapy will cost later...

--
DDDD   And I find it kind of funny I find it kind of sad- The dreams in
DK KD  which I'm dying are the best I've ever had.  I find it hard to