[Discuss] Ubuntu Install Question

Hi Ivan,

The Linux partitioning tools (that the installation programs use) claim
to be able to shrink existing partitions to make room for a Linux
partition, but I've never trusted that. Could be paranoia on my
part. I'd be especially careful when Windows is involved, but I have no
recent experience with it. If it were me I'd put Ubuntu on the 2nd drive
and leave Windows with what it originally had. I haven't installed
Ubuntu in this situation, so I don't know how much help it gives you,
but I believe the boot loader (Grub) has the ability to do this. Someone
else could give better advice here.

As a general comment, whenever you partition, make filesystems or
install 2nd systems, you want to know in advance that if you make a
mistake what you lose is no big deal. For most people that means that
everything you care about (including what you didn't remember you had
and would care about) needs to be backed up and the back up confirmed to
some degree to be recoverable. Another answer I often flirt with is to
know in advance that I'll be able to shrug off accidents thinking,
"well, I didn't really need that anyway -- how many times do I need to
listen to Cortez the Killer or all those other old songs anyway," but
now that I have child photos that's a less interesting disaster recovery
strategy than it used to be.

- Mike