[Discuss] Running a mail server, or not

On 06/27/2018 03:39 PM, David Kramer wrote:
> Yes.? The problem is with automating that so I don't have to teach my
> wife ssh and command line.
>
> What I have on my old server is a specific folder to dump spam to train
> on, and a cron job would feed the mail through spamc.? I was hoping
> there might be a better way, but I will probably end up adapting that
> mechanism (I also moved from MBox to Maildir, and another monkey wrench
> is I moved from system users to virtual users with no home directories
> per se)

I haven't completely been following along with the conversation.  But if
I understand the thread correctly, I'm using the Roundcube webmail
system to accomplish much of this.  (And in a pretty user-friendly
manner, that the wife could understand.)

I have mail get sent to my hosting provider (Dreamhost).  From there I
run fetchmail to pull it down to my local server.  The incoming mail
gets fed through spamassassin first, then dumped into dovecot.  I then
run Roundcube as a front-end to access the mail in dovecot, and use the
Roundcube "markasjunk2" plugin to tell spamassassin about new junk mail.

Happy to share additional details / configuration, if you're interested.

DR