[Discuss] IBM shuts down a big webcam network

Due to corporate priorities, the Weather Underground team at IBM posted this
earlier this week: "we sadly have to remove this functionality as we no longer
have the necessary resources".

  http://help.wunderground.com/knowledgebase/articles/1821811

The resources required support this scale of operations, according to the
site's homepage today:

  4,342,482 images uploaded today.
  452,220 videos created today.

That's peanuts; even back before I moved out of MA in 2010, I managed a
picture/profile site with more traffic than that. Does anyone share my
interest in finding an alternative way to keep that site online, outside the
IBM sphere of influence?

I don't really know who the other Weather Underground users are, but if I
could find them I'd be saying this: hey, it's /our/ data, we should own it and
decide what's done with it instead of IBM; let's form a new LLC with a charter
that explicitly says that, and take our data feeds there.

-rich