[Discuss] Future-proofing a house for networking -- what to run?

For future demands, I recommend a Siamese multi-mode fiber to each drop,
run to a central patching station. Choose the most common connectors,
but be sure all your "edge" devices are fiber capable and are designed
both for multi-mode fiber (not single-mode) and the connectors you
choose. For existing devices, you can buy 75-ohm coaxial cables combined
in a common jacket with Cat 5 wire pairs, and that's my recommendation
for "legacy" technology.

*Warning:* If you buy "Non-plenum" cable, you cannot run it in your
attic or in any other void that also serves to return air to the air
conditioning or heating system. Non-plenum rated cable must be enclosed
in conduit if it is in the plenum. See this Wikipedia article
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plenum_cable> for details.

There is often a (tempting) compromise available: if your house is
already wired for "CATV", then the RG-59 or RG-6 coaxial cables can be
used for Ethernet by installing specialized converters, or by
buying/renting multiple "cable modems" for each room, to use the coaxial
cable as-is. However, If the walls really are open, /now is the time to
prepare for the future/, so while leveraging existing CATV coax can be
tempting and cost less, it's a "work around" intended mostly for rental
properties or commercial settings where access or work interruption is a
factor.

Remember that the most expensive item is the labor required to run the
wires/fiber, so if you do everything at once,? then you can relax
knowing that the fiber will "future proof" your house while the coax and
Cat 5 do the job for a few years. BTW, most "fiber" technologies being
touted right now are actually "fiber to the curb" or "fiber to the
vault" arrangements, where coaxial cable is used for the "drop"
connection to and inside your home, so having coax run to your wire
closet will save you the aggravation of watching a cable tv or telco
droid run coax on the outside of your home.

FWIW. YMMV.

Bill Horne