[Discuss] Future-proofing a house for networking -- what to run?

On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 1:19 PM, Bill Ricker <bill.n1vux at gmail.com> wrote:

> Why is conduit everywhere not an option?
> Cost of material?  Time-consuming bending & fitting?
> Does Code there require _steel_ conduit for low-voltage DATA cables, or can
> you use certain plastics?
> (Plastics are nasty when it burns, but w/o power lines inside, fire is
> coming from
> outside; by the time the fire gets to it, it's pretty much over
> already. Allowed for plumbing, so why not for data?)

Your comment about "code" caused me to go out and do a Google search on:

low voltage conduit residential code

a few of the interesting results:

https://www.bicsi.org/pdf/bicsinews/2008/JanuaryFebruary2008.pdf
http://www.sdmmag.com/articles/84601-what-technicians-need-to-know-about-cable-the-nec

They are more oriented towards commercial buildings, but it seem like
"code" is routinely violated
for low voltage cable installs.   I expect that residential installs
are even worse.  Something
to consider I suppose.

Bill Bogstad