[Discuss] Future-proofing a house for networking -- what to run?

Richard Pieri <richard.pieri at gmail.com> writes:

> On 9/12/2017 1:19 PM, Bill Ricker wrote:
>> I'm glad to hear there's someone even slower to adopt real broadband
>> than I was.
>
> I have real broadband: FiOS, 50/50Mbps. Had it since it became available
> in my neighborhood. It's just that the slowest WiFi devices I have are
> 802.11g. The others are 802.11n or .11ac. It doesn't much matter how
> much more bandwidth wired 1-Gig offers when that extra bandwidth can't
> be utilized.

You seem to be assuming that all traffic crosses into your ISP.  While
this may be true for your use case, it is certainly not the case for me.
I've got a MythTV setup, which means much of my streaming media is local
traffic.  I'd much rather use a wired/switched network for that than
pollute the shared wifi.

-derek

PS: I have a 1G fiber network to my home, although I seem to only be
able to pull ~200mbps down from real sources even though speedtest.net
(from a wired connection) will pull down 940mbps.  Speedtest from my
wifi only pulls down ~300mbps.

PPS: Yes, *THIS* is boasting -- but it's also driving my decisions to
include a wired network for all my background tasks so that wifi is
limited only to those devices that MUST use wifi (or choose to use wifi,
knowing it's capabilities are lower than the wired network).

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745