[Discuss] Is there a supported browser for Linux that still runs Java applets? (also Flash)

On 07/06/2017 05:20 AM, John Abreau wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 11:35 AM, David Rosenstrauch <darose at darose.net>
> wrote:
>
> I ran into this same issue with my Lantronix Spider KVM recently, and was
>> pleasantly surprised to find out that the KVM allowed me to run the remote
>> access app as either applet or JavaWS, effectively making this a non-issue
>> for me.
>>

> Interesting. I also have a couple of Lantronix Spider KVMs, and accessing
> them via firefox has always seemed clumsy.
>
> How would I go about using javaws to access the KVMs? Is there a good
> tutorial that explains it?

I still use Firefox to access the KVM.  But rather than running the
remote access app in the browser, it downloads a .jnlp file, and Firefox
is configured to launch javaws when it encounters one of those.  (See
http://darose.net/SpiderJNLP.png)  There's a configuration setting in
the KVM to switch from applet to javaws.  (See
http://darose.net/SpiderJavawsConfiguration.png , look for "KVM Console
Deployment".)

DR