[Discuss] Braintree Plaza Wifi

On 4/3/17 11:05 AM, Eric Chadbourne wrote:
> I notice that when you go to a popular website like google all is fine. When you go to a lesser known website using https (in this case a personal server in Europe) it does a man in the middle using an invalid cert from AT&T.

Could it be part of a content filtering setup?  With https they can't
watch the content itself unless this sort of a MITM configuration
happens--requiring the user to accept what appears to be an invalid
certificate.

In my personal experience both Ruckus and Cradlepoint have options built
into their offerings to enable this sort of invasive behavior in the
name of filtering the content--usually deployed where there is free WiFi
to the general public and they want to attempt to minimize people
looking at things are not appropriate for that venue.  It may only take
over when visiting domains that aren't on their white-list which could
explain why Google makes it through OK.

LinkNYC had all sorts of trouble last year when some members of the
local homeless population were using the kiosks and free WiFi to view
pornography and perform inappropriate acts in public.

-Ethan