From: "Richard Pieri" <richard.pieri at gmail.com>
To: <discuss at blu.org>
Subject: [Discuss] Torrent of new spam
Date: Sat, Feb 18, 2017 7:36 PM

On 2/18/2017 12:29 PM, Daniel Barrett wrote:
> Where spamassassin is based on heuristics, spastic is literal. You
> simply create blacklists and whitelists for blocking & permitting
> emails. The lists can include "To" and "From" addresses, subject lines
> (substrings), body text, etc.  Each list is a plain text file.

Static lists like these are a pain to manage. When I tried it I spent
more time tweaking lists than reading mail. When a previous employer of
mine tried static lists it turned into a full time job for one of our
sysadmins.

In my experience, grey listing at the SMTP server offers the best bang
for the buck. It drops on the order of 95% of incoming spam before it
can get into the mail server with no false positives -- it won't drop
legitimate mail. Grey listing requires no maintenance and it is very
light on system resources.

--
Rich P.