[Discuss] I, uh, deleted the wrong kernel....

David kramer <david at thekramers.net> writes:

> No, I'm not building my own kernels.  I have the 34 and 36 kernels, so
> one path (and it would be a great one) would be to somehow get grub to
> look for those instead of 28.  How to do that after booting off USB
> though.....  That would be my favored option, and I'll have to google in
> that direction some more.
>
> Thanks.

Start with the grub manual. You're going to be typing something
in that looks like the entry did in your config file for the lost kernel
but with different version numbers. Sadly in Ubuntu the config file
looks like a little program itself so it may be a little hard to find,
but something like this...

linux         /vmlinux-4.4.0-34-generic root=/dev/sda1
initrd        /initrd.img-4.4.0-34-generic

Maybe you'll need some other commands first if that doesn't work alone,
e.g. load_video, insmod or other crud. You'll see this stuff in each
menuentry block in /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

--
Mike Small
smallm at sdf.org