[Discuss] ZFS On Linux "in" Debian, migration from Btrfs

Richard, why are you moving to ZFS when you already have BTRFS. Certainly
ZFS is more mature.

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 2:13 PM, Dan Ritter <dsr at randomstring.org> wrote:

> On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 01:39:51PM -0400, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> > Please share your experiences with both BTRFS and ZFS.
>

> I use btrfs in RAID 1 and RAID 10 mode on spinning disks, RAID 1 on ssd,
> zfs in RAID 10 on spinning disks with independent ZIL and L2ARC (read
> and write caches) on ssd, and in RAID 1 on ssd.
>
> btrfs is a little faster, but the only time this makes a
> significant difference is in weekly scrubbing, where btrfs does
> it at about twice the rate of zfs.
>
> btrfs has a nocow option that can be set on directories or
> individual files which can dramatically improve performance for
> databases and VM images. But... that also turns off
> checksumming, which is one of the big reasons to use zfs or
> btrfs in the first place. It also turns off compression.
>
> zfs does not have a nocow option at all. If you are running a
> production database, zfs is not your friend for the database
> storage.
>
> zfs has better tools for snapshotting.
>
> zfs is generally more flexible about turning options on and
> off... except for deduplication. Do not experiment with
> deduplication. zfs has many, many options.
>
> Both support rsync-like incremental send and receive functions,
> nearly instantaneous snapshotting. and compression with a couple
> of algorithms.
>
> -dsr-

Jerry Feldman <gaf.linux at gmail.com>
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: B7F14F2F
Key fingerprint: D937 A424 4836 E052 2E1B  8DC6 24D7 000F B7F1 4F2F