[Discuss] Boot issues

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 07:35:16PM -0400, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> > [...] So as a result I mostly just learn to use whatever they
> > ship, as it's configured, except for perhaps a few default
> > behaviors that really drive me crazy (whatever they might be, for
> > that particular software release). :(
> >
> > One example: getting gnome-keyring to stop trying to manage my ssh
> > agent.  I keep having to learn new ways to make that happen, and some
> > gnome/xfce/whatever developer keeps breaking them.  If I'm being
> > honest, for a long while now I've considered Gnome and its developers
> > to be a blight.
> >
> There are a lot of alternatives to Gnome.

For sure, but gnome is pervasive.  Other packagers of software often
expect or even require at least pieces of it to be present. As an
example, XFCE is hard-coded to use gnome-keyring under some
circumstances (i.e.  by default):

  http://askubuntu.com/questions/412793/xubuntu-stop-gnome-keyring-daemon-from-impersonating-ssh-agent

Unfortunately, availability of alternatives is not always sufficient to
be rid of something... :(  But also, especially since it turns out to
be hard to get rid of entirely anyway, choosing gnome despite ties in to
what I said above: use what's provided by default, so that it's both
available and expected to work fairly reliably.   It's still the
default on most distros, and gets the most testing (use).

[Here I could rant on about gnome keyring and how difficult it is to
disable, but I'll spare you.]

-=-=-=-=-