[Discuss] Notebook Recommendations?

On 5/2/2016 8:12 PM, Kent Borg wrote:
> Hard-limit of only 4GB of RAM:

Yeah. The big compromise in XPS 13 is the soldered RAM. You probably got
the price down to around $650 that way, maybe less, but... ulch. I
wouldn't want less than 8GB in anything expected to be current, and I'd
prefer 12-16GB if VMs with full graphics are involved.

> Slower CPU: I am not doing horrible compiles of bloated code, and this
> is still faster than any normal computer of a decade back, isn't it?

Just as data grows to fill all available storage, processing needs grow
to consume all available CPU. Then again, I'm biased. I'm currently
running a desktop Xeon in my notebook and I absolutely don't regret it.

> Ethernet: This machine doesn't have it. Wifi is usually good, but...any
> favorite USB-to-gigabit adapters that are Linux-friendly, small, and
> reliable?

Anything with an ASIX AX88179 chipset will be usable. I don't know if or
when the module source got added to the kernel but ASIX provides the
source directly if it isn't in your kernel.

--
Rich P.