[Discuss] Whence distributed operating systems?

Hmmm. I guess I meant single system image more in the sense of an
extension of the research work done in the 80s (and nineties a little?)
in the sense of there being a real network operating
system. i.e. something picking up from where Chorus or Amoeba left
off. (I haven't used these systems only read a little about them in
Tanenbaum's Distributed Operating Systems book.) If you'll allow me to
be a bit obnoxious, i.e. single system image not bundled together from
what we had combined with the requisite amount of bubble gum and baling
wire.

I'm thinking from the perspective of a person writing a program more
than an end user. It's easy to abstract details from a user (though
whether the result is completely palatable without them buying new
computers often may be in question). What would be interesting would be
to write to an operating system interface and have the system
transparently migrate processes by various criteria, do redundancy for
failure and load, etc. etc and have it accessible by friends and family
or for it to get popular and scale nicely without further work or too
high a cost. Then supposing the application writer is curious about how
all that works, it would be further interesting for him to be able to
read a nice book by Andrew Tanenbaum and, if not read all the code, at
least learn the next layer of abstractions and have it be somewhat
elegant, or at lease not something to make him slam the unscrewed panel
down in horror and paint a radioactive sign upon it. Further it would be
nice if reading said book helped supplement the application developer's
mental model in a way that makes writing programs more satisfying and
the resulting programs run yet better.

I guess I'm hoping for a new system programming hobbiest and follow on
entrepreneurs and a new inflection point for the industry. Something
feels deeply wrong about where we are right now, to the degree I get the
gist of it. Ditto twice over for this whole problem of the web browser
as client application delivery mechanism and defacto operating
system. If new Linuses come along whose design will they snarf?