[Discuss] Govt Source Code Policy

Code written by Govt. employees is 'Public Domain', meaning specifically
exempted from copyright.

However, most? government software is written by contractors, and not
published or shared.  I don't know for sure, but I imagine that a large
amount of that work is under a proprietary license.  I think it's a giant
step in the right direction to get the Govt. to publish, and reuse (our)
software because we are paying for it once already.  However, I think that
the primary beneficiaries will be the software ISVs and VARs that will
essentially have another 'github' of govt. software to grab and bring
in-house.  The same problem is reflected at GitHub where the majority of
new projects are selecting non-free licenses now whereas a few years ago
GPL was the most popular license in the world.

See https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/categories.html
See license list at https://github.com/new
See global license popularity at
https://www.blackducksoftware.com/resources/data/top-20-open-source-licenses
(their data may be skewed or unreliable)
Also:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_status_of_work_by_the_U.S._government

Greg Rundlett
https://eQuality-Tech.com