[Discuss] systemd explanations

Bill Ricker <bill.n1vux at gmail.com> writes:
> ?Some of Perl's harshest critics are its most ardent supporters.?
> And unlike some communities, feedback works.

And those I would have no problem with. It's rather people advocating
competing languages in the same family (including the author of one
popular programming text) who genuinely dislike Perl who cause me
trouble, specifically in that their wisecracks hurt my motivation to
learn the languages they advocate.  Despite consciously knowing it's
stupid, I struggle not to mentally take up this advocacy battle to the
point that in my spare time I find myself wanting to learn any language
but Python, a language that does seem to have some advantages, if
nothing else for having a lot of cachet right now.

In fact, thinking about it, it's only when it comes from Python
programmers that Perl bashing messes with my head. For instance, there
was a well known Common Lisp programmer, Erik Naggum, who quite
viciously attacked both Perl and C++, but that somehow never damaged my
interest in Lisp.  I probably wouldn't be too bothered if a Ruby
programmer said something either, that language also seeming (at least
to me) to be going approximately nowhere in terms of its popularity. And
if a Tcl programmer ... well I might give that soul a hug.

I guess this is something of a personal problem. Maybe I should try
attending some of the Python events to cure myself of it.

--
Mike Small
smallm at sdf.org