[Discuss] systemd explanations

On Thu, 18 Feb 2016 13:03:30 -0500
Rich Pieri <richard.pieri at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/18/2016 12:36 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
> > Go on any Linux mailing list, and *BSD is seen as a close cousin,
>
> RMS and the FSF have, for many years, insulted BSD developers and BSD
> users, calling them "unethical" and "antisocial". They describe the
> BSD licenses in terms like "obnoxious advertising".
>
> Torvalds called FreeBSD developers "incompetent idiots" on the LKML.
>
> So no, I do not agree that "any Linux mailing list" sees *BSD as a
> close cousin, not when the two biggest names in free (as in FSF)
> software right now hold *BSD developers and users in such low regard.
>
> > It's too bad. OpenBSD is an excellent OS that always works right.
> > But if the cost of using OpenBSD is hearing all that anti-Linux
> > stuff, perhaps I better stay away from it.
>
> RMS did start it. Perhaps I am being petty, but if anti-something
> stuff is a reason to avoid a thing then I think that avoiding GNU
> ranks higher on the list than avoiding BSD.

Allow me to change my assertion:

Go on any Linux **USER GROUP** mailing list, and *BSD is seen as a close
cousin.

Yeah, RMS and Linus can be dicks, but I don't think the entire
GNU/Linux community should be judged on their actions.

SteveT

Steve Litt
February 2016 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key