[Discuss] Profiting from GPL software

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 12:04 PM, Rich Pieri <richard.pieri at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/10/2015 11:57 AM, Chuck Anderson wrote:
>>
>> The latest OEM firmware downloads from
>> http://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=148550 for both
>> hardware versions appear to show that they still use Linux:
>

> Okay. I'll concede that point. Linksys still have one product that ships
> with GPL software.

At the page:

http://www.linksys.com/us/wireless-routers/c/wrt-wireless-routers/

You can find 4 WRT models which you can buy directly from Linksys' web
site and which
they are promoting as "Open Source Ready" on this page:

http://www.linksys.com/us/c/wireless-routers/

Linksys' GPL page has software downloads for 3 of the 4 models sold as
"Open Source Ready"
http://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=114663
with the fourth being a hardware upgrade and probably uses the same
firmware as it's slower twin.

Now it is possible that these 4 models don't actually ship with GPLed
software and are just sold
as compatible, but I doubt that is the case.

Looking instead at their "newest arrivals", I find that the E1700
($59.99) and EA9200 ($299.99) have GPLed firmware releases listed.
Now given how fast and loose vendors tend to be in the consumer space
with keeping the same model number while completely changing the
hardware/software that doesn't prove that what they are currently
selling ships with GPLed software.   For me at least, it seems likely
that Linksys continues to be happy to ship products using GPLed
software when it suits their business interests.   And that remains
true as of today.   I'm not surprised by this and don't understand why
anyone would think anything different.

Bill Bogstad