[Discuss] Fwd: site monitoring suggestions?

Since you say it's a pure Windows environment, try Site Monitor (
http://www.sitesmonitor.net/). They have a Lite version which is easy to
use and seems to work well.

   1.

   I had trouble getting it to send SMTP mail through my (GoDaddy) gateway
   so I had to create a dedicated Gmail account as the mail sender, that works
   fine.
   2.

   Make sure you understand the trigger parameters, there is a frequency
   setting (how often it checks) and a number of failures before it triggers.
   Note that the number of failures is misleading. If you have it set for
   three, it notifies you on the fourth try.
   3.

   You can set the app to start with Windows.
   4.

   The download zip file expands into a self-contained executable so you
   drop it onto a PC and run it. It does create a log file folder where ever
   you specify and the autostart option adds a registry entry (HKCU?Run) but
   it doesn?t install in the traditional sense. So uninstalling is simply a
   matter of deleting it.
   5.

   On failure, it can run an executable, send an email, beep or send an SMS
   (text) message. Note that SMS messages only work through special providers
   (Clickatell and BudgetSMS) and these providers only offer paying accounts.
   6.

   It runs on a Windows desktop or server (I?m actually running it on a
   crappy old XP system).