[Discuss] 4K (or 5K) resolution for Linux desktop

On 1/5/2016 12:15 PM, Shirley M?rquez D?lcey wrote:
> I thought that most of the NVidia GTX 9xx series can drive them -
> either through DisplayPort (970 and 980) or HDMI 2.0 (950 and 960).

Depends. Some of the Kepler-based GTX 900 series (really just rebranded
GTX 800-series cards) max at 2560x1440 or 3072x1536.

> The GTX 950 and 960 also implement HDCP 2.2. I think that recent ATI
> cards can also manage 4K, as can some of the new Intel Skylake chips.

Radeon R9 series cards can do UHD; the R7 and R5 cards max at at
2560x1440 and 1920x1200 respectively.

nb. I lost interest in following the industry over the summer so my
information may be a little dated.

> You would need a massive setup to do 3D at 4K but the extra screen
> real estate can still be useful. I'd also mention 4K movies but that's

If the display is physically large enough to make use of that
resolution. UHD at less than about 35" at 16:9 and everything will be
too small to comfortably see without magnifying to compensate. At which
point the UHD screen is a waste of money.

nb. UHD and 4K are not synonymous. UHD is a set of specs for video
displays operating at 3840x2160. 4K is a set of digital camera and
editing specs for video recorded at 4096x2160. UHD content is, by
definition, not 4K. It must be scaled or cropped to fit. Chances are,
any display labeled either "4K" or "4K UHD" is actually UHD. An actual
4K display would be extremely wide relative to the vertical size (1.9:1
aspect ratio).

--
Rich P.