[Discuss] Dropping obsolete commands (Linux Pocket Guide)

The way things are done has changed over time.  sudo  wasn't around when
chfn was developed and became part of the standard command set.

It isn't bad, just different than newer individuals typically learn.

Overall, UNIX was a place to tring together lots of small programs into
scripts.  Most folk don't do that anymore, they tend to write monolithic
monsterpieces that depend of various libraries.

Neither is wrong, both are OK.  The winds of time and user perspective
dictate what is 'most efficient' for any given scenario.

Just my $0.02 quatloos.

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 10:37 AM, Chuck Anderson <cra at wpi.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 09:01:19AM -0500, Bill Ricker wrote:

> > > usermod comes along with useradd and userdel. Being able to
> > > supply everything on the command line (including a password
> > > hash) is a great improvement over interactive commands.
> >

> > ?there's always 'sudo vipw'?
>
> Those two options don't work for a regular user to change their own
> Full Name.

><> ... Jack

The Four Boxes of Liberty - "There are four boxes to be used in the defense
of liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Please use in that order."
"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart"... Colossians 3:23
"Anyone who has never made a mistake, has never tried anything new." -
Albert Einstein
"You don't manage people; you manage things. You lead people." - Admiral
Grace Hopper, USN
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -
Ben Franklin