[Discuss] Dropping obsolete commands (Linux Pocket Guide)

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 07:15:26PM -0500, Daniel Barrett wrote:
> As for the rest of the commands I asked about, I plan to drop finger
> and chfn, to keep telnet for connecting to arbitrary ports (and add

Sorry to chime in late...  I actually use finger fairly often.
turns out that some third-party bolt-ons (Like Centrify DC) for
Microsoft integration actually do provide Unixy equivalents that feed
whichever system calls funnel data to finger.  I use it sometimes to
see, say, who all the Steves are, if I forget the last name of the
particular Steve I'm looking for.  Those folks can't log into my
system but I can see their usernames and full names.  Faster than
looking them up in the company directory.

Not saying you shouldn't eliminate finger/chfn, but they do still have
uses...  Depends entirely on your environment.

-=-=-=-=-