[Discuss] Experiences virtualizing: Linux hosted in Windows vs Windows hosted in Linux

For a number of years I have been presenting a virtualization seminar
for the annual virtualization deep dive day. I was able to demo a Linux
host with Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8 as guests. The one thing
that surprised me was that on my netbook, Windows XP actually performed
reasonably well, although I would not recommend using a netbook for
virtualization. Also, at work I set up a number of Linux guests running
our product.

One of the main determinants would be graphics. The host OS is going to
be able to make good use of the graphics chip where the guest OS may be
somewhat limited although there are hardware solutions. But, for the
most part it does not matter. Windows has become more stable. In
addition, to virtualize Windows you would either need to PtoV the
installed Windows, but a new Windows license, or download an instance if
you are a MSDN subscriber.