[Discuss] Linux on laptops

I learned about Costco's return policy about 10 years ago from a manager
at Costco.  I found it unbelievable, but she was true to her word.

I bought a combination VCR/DVD player at Costco and the video quality
was quite poor from the start.  But I just never got around to taking it
back.  I was in Costco one day a few years after I bought it, and I
decided to talk to a manager there.  I said I fully understood that my
not having returned the item in a reasonable length of time was entirely
my fault.  I explained that I wasn't looking for a refund from Costco,
but I was hoping that Costco might have sufficient clout with the
manufacturer to get the manufacturer to fix it so the video quality
didn't suck.  The Costco manager's response was to ask if I still had
the receipt.  When I said I did, she told me to bring it back and they'd
refund the purchase price.  My jaw dropped! This was two to three years
after I bought the thing!

I asked what their return policy was, and she said they didn't have a
time limit on anything except computers.  And their then-new one-year
limit on returning computers was only because too many people had been
returning computers they'd purchased several years before for a full
refund, and then turning around and using that refund to buy the newest
model for the same money! This ploy was turning their generous refund
policy into a policy of free computer upgrades in perpetuity, which was
something Costco couldn't afford.

In the years since then, Costco has reduced the return time to 90 days
and applied it to a few other electronics items besides computers: TVs,
cellphones, tablets, cameras, and camcorders.  I presume that's because
they encountered people using the return policy to get free upgrades of
those items.  But for all other merchandise, Costco's return policy
still doesn't specify any time limit.  I make a point of not abusing
their return policy, but I have taken advantage of it once or twice
since then. So I feel secure that, if some product turns out to be a
real dog, I won't be stuck with it.

    Mark Rosenthal