[Discuss] Linux on laptops

I ran used dell Latitude laptop for years with ubuntu.  It worked
flawlessly from initial install on (think Ubuntu 6.whatever).  I finally
got tired of the Ubuntu bloat and moved to an Ubuntu derivative, Mint that
is a little lighter.

After ouliving a couple of disk drives and a 'full blown' memory upgrade,
that lasted a long time, the mobo finally gave out and I moved to a used
Thinkpad T40 if I remember right.  Went through a couple more disk drives
and memory upgrade on it too.  After several years (3 or so) the GPU
finally gave out.

So I splurged and got a new Thinkpad.  A T540p, loaded Mint on it multiboot
with the win 8.1 that was pre-installed.  My only issue with it is the
trackpad is much more kludgey than the previous Thinkpad.  But it is
serving me well.  Finally ordered memory upgrade (from 8 to 16G).  I also
have a desktop expansion to have a place to leave mouse and external drive
plugged in.  The T540p was new ordered from the Lenovo web site, so no real
discounts, but it is my first new factory computer since 1984.  Still, Mint
is my main OS, and it works well.  I do go into Windows enough to keep it
backed up and updated, also Hulu doesn't work for me under Mint.  I use
CRASHPLAN to back up both to the same external drive.

The Lenovo T540p was in the $700 range.  I chose the Thinkpad again because
of its being rugged enough for me to haul around without fear of breaking
it to easily.  But then again I don't have experience with other models

--
><> ... Jack

The Four Boxes of Liberty - "There are four boxes to be used in the defense
of liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Please use in that order."
"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart"... Colossians 3:23
"Anyone who has never made a mistake, has never tried anything new." -
Albert Einstein
"You don't manage people; you manage things. You lead people." - Admiral
Grace Hopper, USN
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -
Ben Franklin